Saturday, November 17, 2012

Irregular Forsakenness

I hope to add on to this post later, but I'll do what I can now.

As I read "A Grief Observed," I sometimes found Lewis' feelings of forsakenness (I don't think it's a word, but you know what I mean) to be, at points, disconcertingly similar to certain episodes in my life. The door-slamming, bolting and double bolting analogy is a fitting one. At other instances, however, I've feel more as what the author of the forward described as her experience in times of great grief, that of comfort, consolation, and irrefutable Presence. I have often wanted to know why some difficulties seem to be solo affairs and others hardly begin before God arrives with the desired balm. I'm sure that part of the reason why is simply that God knows what we need and when, but I still wonder why some trials require one sort of therapy and others a treatment regimen of a different variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment